[Oisf-users] Updated to 2.0.6 and experiencing event logging slow down

Peter Manev petermanev at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 20:18:46 UTC 2015

On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 11:25 PM, Gary Faulkner <gfaulkner.nsm at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been experimenting with your suggestions, but I think the culprit may
> have been having an MTU of 9000 on the NIC and not setting
> default-packet-size to match in suricata.yaml. Jumbo frames are enabled for
> at least some of the links we have tapped. I tried setting
> default-packet-size to 9000 and saw improved processing, but high loss, so
> after some additional reading suggesting that it might be better to set use
> a lower MTU and discard jumbo frames (or at least let them fragment) I
> simply went back to the default MTU size on both the NICs ans in
> suricata.yaml. I need to let it run some more to collect stats, but I think
> I'm closer now with the below settings:
>
> dns parser disabled for udp and tcp (disabling this didn't seem to change
> the behavior I was seeing, but I hadn't enabled dns.log as I have dns
> logging going on elsewhere so I didn't it turn it back on)
>
> vlan.use-for-tracking set back to true (after trying no and seeing no change
> in behavior and the config file comments suggesting it should be on unless
> causing trouble)
>
> flow-timeouts:
>
>   default:
>     new: 3
>     established: 30
>     closed: 0
>     emergency-new: 10
>     emergency-established: 10
>     emergency-closed: 0
>   tcp:
>     new: 6
>     established: 100
>     closed: 12
>     emergency-new: 1
>     emergency-established: 5
>     emergency-closed: 2
>   udp:
>     new: 3
>     established: 30
>     emergency-new: 3
>     emergency-established: 10
>   icmp:
>     new: 3
>     established: 30
>     emergency-new: 1
>     emergency-established: 10
>
> My original stats.log file had grown quite large, so I rotated it out and am
> currently collecting fresh stats with the current settings. I did notice
> that there seemed to be a cosmetic bug in how dna interfaces are displayed
> in stats.log as in dna0 at 1 would display as dna0 at 11, dna0 at 2 would display as
> dna0 at 21 and so on. I can provide a stats.log once I have fresh stats.
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> On 2/6/2015 5:56 AM, Victor Julien wrote:
>>
>> On 02/06/2015 06:30 AM, Gary Faulkner wrote:
>>>
>>> I was recently updating some sensors that I inherited from a previous
>>> admin from Suricata 1.4.7 to 2.0.6. The 1.4.7 install was happily
>>> processing around 15Gbps of traffic (multiple sensors) with 15K rules
>>> and less than 1% loss prior to the update. After the update I'm noticing
>>> that Suricata is logging fewer and fewer events as time goes on and loss
>>> as recorded in stats.log increases substantially over time as well. As
> [...]

Hi Gary,

Do you have any update with the new stats?

I also noticed you have that in the yaml:
stream.max-sessions = 20 000 000
stream.prealloc-sessions = 10 000 000

Can you comment out stream.max-sessions and use only
stream.prealloc-sessions = 100000
(the value is per stream thread)

Thanks

Peter Manev