[Oisf-users] Suricata load/latency spikes

Cooper F. Nelson cnelson at ucsd.edu
Mon Jun 29 17:36:27 UTC 2015

Last year I traced down intermittent performance issues w/suricata to
compromised local clients that were participating in a DDOS botnet.
They would periodically SYN flood remote hosts, which would crush the
suricata process as it tried to track millions of new flows in a few
seconds.

They way I found this was I wrote a simple shell script to display top
talkers by IP, which I ran when suricata was under heavy load and
falling over.  I've since created some signatures to look for SYN floods.

In your environment, you could do something similar with argus, netflow
or ntop and see what the top talkers are during your periods of outages.

Re: the DNS issues, I've also seen performance issues due to clients
running bitorrent over port 53.

- -Coop