[Oisf-users] Suricata load/latency spikes

robert.jamison at bt.com robert.jamison at bt.com
Mon Jun 29 20:31:39 UTC 2015

I'm understanding correctly, your running 'live' traffic through Suricata that is compiled without --enable-debug. This means that the low level output from the dns.c function calls would only be available in 'replay' mode, which hasn't exhibited the same latency.

Something is contraindicative of DNS being an issue, your pings are taking longer than 100ms without resolution (e.g. ping 8.8.8.8), but in the stats, the dns.memcap is the only metric that is moving in the before/after. If dns.memcap is holding onto stub records and waiting for responses (which might cause the 3X increase in alloc), potentially the thread is blocking the reentrance of the kernel libnet primitives causing delays to propagate to every process queuing to use them?  I'm really grasping here...