[Oisf-users] Threads not doing any work

Duane Howard duane.security at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 21:48:03 UTC 2015

I've been playing with various numbers of threads for suricata using
afpacket in workers mode. I seem to end up with some number of threads that
aren't processing packets, for example when I have 16 threads, I see:

15 threads that look like this:
==>
/tmp/collectd/csv/host/suricata-AFPacketbond01/suricata_capture-kernel_packets-2015-10-09
<==
epoch,value
1444425138.693,2704177
1444425198.689,5107892
1444425258.673,7853272
1444425318.687,9862534
1444425378.675,12403800
1444425438.672,15074199
1444425498.664,18680028
1444425558.686,22200222
1444425618.664,25442565

and one thread that looks like this:
==>
/tmp/collectd/csv/host/suricata-AFPacketbond02/suricata_capture-kernel_packets-2015-10-09
<==
epoch,value
1444425138.695,0
1444425198.689,0
1444425258.674,0
1444425318.687,0
1444425378.676,0
1444425438.672,0
1444425498.665,0
1444425558.686,0
1444425618.664,0

When I bump up to 32 threads (just for testing) I end up with two threads
that aren't seeing any packets. Is there any obvious reason for this? Ideas
on troubleshooting?

./d