[Oisf-users] New Post by OISF Board Member Randy Caldejon

Andreas Moe moe.andreas at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 19:54:50 UTC 2015

All those suggestions seem good, but they are moving fairly close to what
SIEM solutions and data analysis / aggregation / coorelations systems
should (in my mind) be handeling. Threat Intel such as domain / ip rep can
change suddenly (say its lunch time, and you recive some new IOCs), and you
dont want to reboot suricata (if the implementation would imply that was
needed), and you would (as you often do) want to look retrospetivly for

Keywords for time of day would be nice, but there would have to be alot of
time put into how this was implemented, seing that many users are
multinational, and spread over many timezones, but using one central
signature management solution. Maybe if you had "alert-on:!work-hours" and
work-hours was defined as a variable (in the same way as network variables)
in the configuration.

Tracking user agents would maybe be abit dificult, changes so much, length
pattern matching (performance), and so easily / rapidly changing. PCRE
matches against elements found in this list:
http://www.useragentstring.com/pages/Browserlist/ would be very performance
draining on a high speed link.

Sorry for sounding so negative, but i really like were this talk i going,
the potential future + innovating ideas =)

Things im thinking of (and some of these are in play) are:
- Integration with queue elements for output (say kafka) as well as input
(maybe for domain/ip rep, as you mentioned, so that you can just "push" it
out to the sensors)
- Multi tenancy (vlan / interface, seperate output logs)
- Periods of feature locks with focus on security testing and optimalization
- Integration with databased for direct output of say passive dns logging
- Configuration profiling vs observed stats reporting and suricata
performance (not really sure how, just an idea i had, just as we have
packet profiling, say "user starts suricata with config-profiling, lots of
defraged packet are found causing memcap reach, and similar events, packet
drops and so on, and this would be reported back in a report).
- Complementary live Suricata pet to the top developer of the year (maybe
victor ++ could start a Zoo?)

/AndreasM