[Oisf-users] Out of band 10Gb Suricata

Christophe Vandeplas christophe at vandeplas.com
Thu Oct 15 04:50:11 UTC 2015

Just to be sure, how many queues do your vnics have?

You can easily check this with :
$ cat /proc/interrupts  | fgrep eth

This is important as the multiple threads of af_packet will need to
grab the packets from each queue. If you only have one queue in the
NIC, then only one thread can take care of reading these queues and
will jump to 100%, while the other receiving threads of af_packet will
do nothing.
Depending on the af_packet configuration this might even be worse.
If you're only having one queue, make sure af_packet is set to
"cluster-type: cluster_flow". You should see a considerable
improvement.

I had this problem with cheap commodity hardware as explained in my
post: http://christophe.vandeplas.com/2013/11/suricata-capturekerneldrops-caused-by.html

However, trying to get 10 Gbps with visualized hardware is perhaps a
little bit optimistic.