[Oisf-users] Question on Assigning flowvars in Signatures/PCRE

Rasmor, Zachary R zachary.r.rasmor at lmco.com
Sat Feb 6 19:41:11 UTC 2016

Hi All,

I would like to know a little bit more about how to use 'flowvar' within
signatures. Based on Victor's blog post, I think it's clear to me how to
get/set flowvar values from Lua:

http://blog.inliniac.net/2013/04/18/suricata-lua-scripting-flowvar-access/

But I've seen very little documentation about using them within the
signatures themselves. The blog post seems to indicate that it is possible.

This is what I would like to do:

-          In one signature, extract a string using pcre, and set the
extracted string to a flowvar - The syntax for doing this is not clear to me

-          In a separate signature, invoke a luajit script to access the
flowvar and append it to some output - I think I am clear on this per
Victor's blog post

I realize I could accomplish the first item (extracting/setting the flowvar)
in a lua script, but I wanted to see if it was possible to do it in the
signature, and figured this would be a good opportunity to learn.

Also, I'm happy to update the wiki/documentation once I get this figured
out.

Thanks in advance!

Zach

Zach Rasmor

Senior Software Engineer

Lockheed Martin CIRT

700 N Frederick Ave | Gaithersburg, MD 20879

Email:  <mailto:zachary.r.rasmor at lmco.com> zachary.r.rasmor at lmco.com

Office: 301.240.6116