[Oisf-users] Suricata rules server change

Francis Trudeau ftrudeau at emergingthreats.net
Tue Mar 29 13:31:21 UTC 2016

All,

Emerging Threats / Proofpoint will be making a change to our rules download
servers regarding Suricata versions.  This change will happen after 8PM
Eastern, on Sunday, 2016/04/03.  This will affect OPEN and PRO rulesets.

Currently, the link below will download Suricata rules designed for older
versions of Suricata (1.0  through 1.2.x):

https://rules.emergingthreats.net/open/suricata/
https://rules.emergingthreatspro.com/oinkcode/suricata/

Those links will direct to suricata-1.3 rules after this change.

After this change, to access the older Suricata signatures, they will be
here:

https://rules.emergingthreats.net/open/suricata-1.0/
https://rules.emergingthreatspro.com/oinkcode/suricata-1.0/

One reason for this change is that most people run newer versions of
Suricata, and are not aware they are downloading the incorrect rules for
Suricata 1.3 - 3.x.

The second reason for this change is we plan on sun-setting the older
Suricata rules in the future.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions.  Please keep questions on list
if possible.

Thanks,

Francis