[Oisf-users] suricata inline

mostafa ammar mostafaammar79 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 09:15:41 UTC 2016

Dear All,

i installed suricata as a vm on xenserver hypervisor to work as inline ips
between VM , I added 3 interfaces to VM ,one management and 2 interfaces
sensing , one in vlan 9 and another in vlan 10 (interface eth2,eth3)

i installed suricata with NFqueue support and when running with
 sudo suricata -c /home/ubuntu/suricata-3.1/suricata.yaml -q 0
it runs successfully
I added the following to /etc/network/interface

auto eth2
iface eth2 inet manual
    up ifconfig eth2 0.0.0.0 up
    up ip link set eth2 promisc on
    post-up ethtool -K eth2 gro off
    post-up ethtool -K eth2 lro off
    down ip link set eth2 promisc off
    down ifconfig eth2 down

# Second Bridged Interface
auto eth3
iface eth3 inet manual
    up ifconfig eth3 0.0.0.0 up
    up ip link set eth3 promisc on
    post-up ethtool -K eth3 gro off
    post-up ethtool -K eth3 lro off
    down ip link set eth3 promisc off
    down ifconfig eth3 down

and this is a snapshot of iptables
ubuntu at ubuntu-HVM-domU:~$ sudo iptables -vnL
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 16525 packets, 15M bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination
    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  eth2   *       0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0
    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  eth3   *       0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0
    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  eth2   *       0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination
    0     0 NFQUEUE    all  --  eth3   eth2    0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0            NFQUEUE num 0
    0     0 NFQUEUE    all  --  eth2   eth3    0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0            NFQUEUE num 0

now i added 2 VMs one in vlan 9 and another in vlan 10 but ping is not
working and i see no packets at eth3 with wireshark

any help about that