[Oisf-users] suricata inline

Chris Boley ilgtech75 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 22:41:44 UTC 2016

Pardon.. sorry I wanted to chime in one more time.
In this scenario, the Xenserver GUI mentioned in the beginning of this
thread  uses / creates "networks"

When you create a network in the xenserver gui (from what I saw in tut
videos on youtube), it actually builds a vswitch and ties it to a Physical
NIC.

You can set that so that the outgoing frame is tagged with a vlan ID.
In this case when the physical nic which is connected to the physical
switch; the corresponding port would need to be a "tagged port" or "trunk"
(cisco speak).

Because of his complicated VM on xenserver scenario some questions need
answered:

Does he have a vHost running 'Single-Server Private Network'?
Or does he have vHost running an 'External network' where he's basically
created a vswitch directly tied to a physical nic.?

I did some studying on how xenserver's gui builds an 'External Network' It
does some config under the hood that ultimately might look a somewhat like
this:

In his case assuming he has 'External network' selected:
I think it would suffice to think of his first virtual interface(vlan9) as
making bridge in /etc/network/interfaces like so:
auto br0
iface br0 inet static
        address 0.0.0.0
        netmask 255.255.255.255
        bridge_ports eth1
        post-up vconfig add br0 9
        post-down brctl delbr br0

and his vlan 10 virtual interface

auto br1
iface br1 inet static
        address 0.0.0.0
        netmask 255.255.255.255
        bridge_ports eth2
        post-up vconfig add br1 10
        post-down brctl delbr br1

His Virtual machines are likely tied directly to the br0.9 and the br1.10
interfaces. A lot of assuming going on here on my part so bear with me.

In this case I would ask:
Does he have two virtual networks built? One 'vswitch1' for one side of his
bridge and another 'vswitch2' built for the other side of his bridge?
Does he have spanning tree protocol enabled on his vswitches? Does he have
it enabled on his physical managed switch? All these factors come into play
here. If he does, spanning tree protocol most assuredly is shutting down a
port somewhere to avoid a switching loop.

Whether he's using his old setup or the one I sent over to him, the
networking end has to work before we worry about how suricata will play
into this.

I'll shut up now I've rambled too much   =) Hopefully something here might
help.

Chris