[Oisf-users] negative content match

David Wharton oisf at davidwharton.us
Thu Dec 7 15:12:41 UTC 2017

First, if you are looking to create a pcap and test it against Suricata,
let me humbly suggest trying out Dalton --
https://github.com/secureworks/dalton.  If you just want to craft the
pcap you can use Flowsynth (https://github.com/secureworks/flowsynth/)
but Dalton includes a Wizard/GUI for Flowsynth that makes it quite easy
to create and test the pcap against a custom rule (or other ruleset).

Second, if you want to make sure the HTTP Host header ends with
"paypal.com", you should do a negated isdataat and use '1' instead of
'0'; for the relative isdataat keyword, there is a difference between
how Snort and Suricata handle it (see
http://suricata.readthedocs.io/en/latest/rules/differences-from-snort.html#isdataat-keyword).
So do it like this:

content:"paypal.com <http://paypal.com>"; http_host; isdataat!:1,relative

Finally, to answer your question ... a relative isdataat after a negated
content match doesn't really make sense; it will apply to the previous
(non-negated) content match instead (or beginning of inspection buffer
if no previous content matches).

What exactly are you trying to do here?

Also, be aware of this issue -- "Negated http_* match returns false if
buffer not populated"
(https://redmine.openinfosecfoundation.org/issues/2224).

Hope this helps,

-David Wharton