[Oisf-users] Suricata Gentoo compile/install

Vieri rentorbuy at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 5 09:11:22 UTC 2017

----- Original Message -----
> From: Peter Manev <petermanev at gmail.com>
>>I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
>>Compilation and installation on Gentoo is done by simply issuing:
>># emerge suricata
>
> I am not familiar with Gentoo at all -  so sorry for the simple questions :)
>
> Yes -  what about if you would like to install the Suricata
> dependencies and compile Suricata from scratch? (as opposed to using
> prepackaged version)

Gentoo is source-based. There's no "official" binary package for Suricata or any other package. The Gentoo package manager uses recipes (ebuilds) to download the source code tarballs, unpack, configure, compile and install. The user can customize, say, configure options via system-wide variables so as to enable/disable features. CFLAGS can also be set that way.
In other words, it's fully and easily configurable.
The dependencies are also defined in the ebuilds. They are automatically pulled in depending on the features the user enabled/disabled.

Vieri