[Oisf-users] suricata and ClamAV

Cooper F. Nelson cnelson at ucsd.edu
Wed Jul 12 17:38:31 UTC 2017

ClamAV will check inside archive files (like .tar), a simple checksum
will not.

I don't know how much traffic you see, but you could always just extract
everything and then scan it with ClamAV, either via cron or incron.
Here's how you enable that:

>   - file-store:
>       enabled: yes       # set to yes to enable
>       log-dir: files    # directory to store the files
>       force-magic: no   # force logging magic on all stored files
>       # force logging of checksums, available hash functions are md5,
>       # sha1 and sha256
>       #force-hash: [md5]
>       force-filestore: yes # force storing of all files

What I would do is make the 'files' a tmpfs partition and then scan
every file older than one minute via a cron job.  This is so you don't
scan partially downloaded files.  Then have clamAV move infected files
and their associated metadata to a disk archive for storage.

-Coop

On 7/12/2017 5:58 AM, Srinivasreddy R wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have downloaded clamAV database and converted to md5 hash database .
> Added rule in suricata to scan md5 hash DB for threats.
>
> i have downloaded a tar file having threat .ClamAV is able to detect
> the threat in the tar file but suricata is not identifying .
> Please suggest .
>
> Ref Link:
> https://samiux.blogspot.in/2015/10/howto-clamav-for-suricata.html
> http://old.honeynet.org/scans/scan19/scan19.tar.gz