[Oisf-users] Shared state in multi-tenancy?

Alan Amesbury amesbury at oitsec.umn.edu
Tue Mar 28 22:43:36 UTC 2017

Is state tracking shared between tenants in a multi-tenancy configuration?  For example, if a TCP SYN is seen on VLAN1 and later seen on VLAN2, do both tenancy instances track state individually or is it shared?  I'm curious because this may have implications in situations where traffic is hitting two distinct tenancy instances.  For example, given this horrendous ASCII art:

	10.0.0.1 ----VLAN_101---- router_A =====trunk===== router_B

        10.1.0.9 ----VLAN_102--------/

Host 10.0.0.1 on VLAN 101 talks to 10.1.0.9, on VLAN2.  For reasons known only to the network engineers, both VLANs terminate at router B.  If Suricata is being fed by equipment tapping the trunked segment between routers A and B, it will see each packet twice but on distinct VLANs.  For the purposes of multi-tenancy, using VLANs 101 and 102 as selectors, will Suricata track state individually per tenant, or does it track state for both connections in a table shared across tenants?  I'm guessing it's per tenant (probably by 6-tuple of src/dest addrs/ports + proto + vlan), but I have some coworkers that think it might be shared across tenants.

Another thing that came up was whether Suricata actually tracks state in the first place.  Some people thought one possible performance optimization would be to ignore the SYN+ACK during TCP session setup, but I think that would have some--er, adverse implications.

Again, I've tried reading code and looking at docs, but don't see this touched on anywhere in detail.  Thanks in advance for any insights you might have!

--
Alan Amesbury
University Information Security