[Oisf-users] threshold.conf with rate_limit or drop rules

Jeff Dyke jeff.dyke at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 20:53:46 UTC 2017

Hi, i have started to notice one thing on restarts.  the RX-QN notices,

$> grep "(RX" /var/log/suricata/suricata.log
14/9/2017 -- 16:24:49 - <Notice> - (RX-Q0) Treated: Pkts 788124, Bytes
297444677, Errors 0
14/9/2017 -- 16:24:49 - <Notice> - (RX-Q0) Verdict: Accepted 787983,
Dropped 141, Replaced 0
14/9/2017 -- 16:32:29 - <Notice> - (RX-Q0) Treated: Pkts 5552, Bytes
1534474, Errors 0
14/9/2017 -- 16:32:29 - <Notice> - (RX-Q0) Verdict: Accepted 5422, Dropped
129, Replaced 0
14/9/2017 -- 16:34:18 - <Notice> - (RX-Q0) Treated: Pkts 1658, Bytes
438573, Errors 0
14/9/2017 -- 16:34:18 - <Notice> - (RX-Q0) Verdict: Accepted 1633, Dropped
24, Replaced 0
14/9/2017 -- 20:45:51 - <Notice> - (RX-Q0) Treated: Pkts 176445, Bytes
62762358, Errors 0
14/9/2017 -- 20:45:51 - <Notice> - (RX-Q0) Verdict: Accepted 176220,
Dropped 223, Replaced 0

Are these indeed properly dropped packets, hopefully from my rate_filter
rules?  If so, i'm not seeing logs of what has been dropped to confirm i'm
dropping the correct packets, how would i enabled this.  I have drop
enabled in eve-ips.json, but since these are not drop rules i assume they
would go elsewhere???

Thanks,
Jeff