[Oisf-users] Question for CentOS/RHEL Suricata Users

jt jtfas90 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 18:39:02 UTC 2018

Hi All,

For anyone using CentOS/RHEL/etc. is there an interest in having the
latest and greatest available in RPM format?

For some background, the general guidelines around packages in EPEL is
to maintain package stability over latest and greatest. Following in
that spirit the EPEL package is usually the oldest stable/supported
version of suricata, for example suricata-4.0.6 is what is currently
available in EPEL.

EPEL will track the 4.0.x series until it becomes EOL then it will get
updated to the newest release.

That being said, it's possible to do builds in COPR that are the newest
packages for CentOS/RHEL and use at least the same configuration/build
flags we use in the EPEL releases. It's also possible to do hyperscan
enabled suricata builds for EL with COPR.

Also, if you aren't using the EPEL RPM package why not? We obviously
want to make the package usable by as many people as possible so any
feedback is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

JT