[Oisf-users] Suricata and Cloud (AWS, GCLOUD) scenarios

Champ Clark III cclark at quadrantsec.com
Fri May 11 13:10:36 UTC 2018

One method is to put a virtual firewall/router that supports ERSPANs.

You configure your virtual machines route "through" that virtual device/firewall. Once that is complete, you can create a ERSPAN to your Suricata instance.

A ERSPAN takes the "span" traffic and passes it to your Suricata box over a GRE Tunnel. You have Suricata decode the GRE tunnel for analysis.

Here's a link to a old (not discontinued) Brocade virtual appliance you could do this with:

https://docs.extrahop.com/6.2/dep-brocade-aws/

You should be able to do it with any virtual firewall that support ERSPAN.

Hope this helps and good luck!