[Oisf-users] Hardware specs for monitoring 100GB

Nelson, Cooper cnelson at ucsd.edu
Thu Aug 1 21:19:16 UTC 2019

Should be fine for ISP traffic.

We are doing 20Gbit with 48 worker threads on an older AMD Piledriver box and it’s around 10-15% loaded with the ‘ondemand’ CPU governor.

Suricata is primarily I/O bound if you are using the Hyperscan matcher and given you have a more modern bus and caching sub-system than us you should be under 50% CPU @peak.  This is my personal sizing recommendation to keep packet drops under 1%.

If you are having performance issues or packet loss; make sure you have flow bypass for tcp and tls.

-Coop