[Oisf-users] Properly installing Suricata-Update on latest version of Suricata

Shivani Bhardwaj shivanib134 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 07:24:47 UTC 2019

On Sat, Feb 2, 2019 at 4:03 AM <419telegraph298 at protonmail.com> wrote:

> I made a suricata-update directory and -
>
> /usr/local/bin/suricata-update $ pip install --upgrade suricata-update
>
> Collecting suricata-update
> Collecting pyyaml (from suricata-update)
> Installing collected packages: pyyaml, suricata-update
> Successfully installed pyyaml-3.13 suricata-update-1.0.3
>

> But still getting:
>
> pi at raspberrypi:/usr/local/bin/suricata-update $ ls -l -t
> total 0
> pi at raspberrypi:/usr/local/bin/suricata-update $ suricata-update
> -bash: suricata-update: command not found

Are you creating a directory in /usr/local/bin? I'm afraid that is
incorrect. You should remove that.
First try "pip list" and see if suricata-update is there. Use sudo
here if you used sudo with pip while trying to install
suricata-update.
Could you install mlocate package and run a "locate -b
suricata-update" on your system? It will show you basepaths where
something named suricata-update is available. Whichever out of those
is a binary, likely in some path like path/to/bin/suricata-update
would be your path. Add that to your PATH environment variable to be
able to easily run that in your terminal. (See here
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/26047/how-to-correctly-add-a-path-to-path)
Ideally if you install any pip package which does not require root
privileges, you should do, "pip install <package> --user" <- this will
install the package in the path of your current user, However, if you
require root privileges, use "sudo pip install <package>". (Check this
https://pip.pypa.io/en/stable/user_guide/#user-installs)

Let us know if you face any issues trying to run suricata-update.

--
Shivani
https://about.me/shivani.bhardwaj