[Oisf-users] [EXT] Re: Packet loss and increased resource consumption after upgrade to 4.1.2 with Rust support

Nelson, Cooper cnelson at ucsd.edu
Wed Jun 5 18:52:00 UTC 2019

I updated the ticket, so I'm throwing some info here as well in case any OISF readers have ideas.

It appears that switching to the older 'autofp' runmode resolves this issue (while also greatly increasing packet drops on my system).  My theory being that  by running the stream tracker on the RSS cores, separate from the detect threads, fragmented TCP are properly reassembled before being forwarded.  In the 'workers' runmode the fragments end up on the 'wrong' threads and increase the counter.

Digging deeper into the kernel and suricata source code, at this point I think the solution would be to update cluster_flow to properly handle fragmented TCP/UDP packets.  Since this is 'broken' in the hardware RSS implementation it needs to be fixed in user space, the AF_PACKET code in the kernel doesn't seem to be able to handle this edge case properly.

There are a couple ways this could be handled; as mentioned the easiest thing is to just 'punt' and only hash on the IP header src->dst for all protocols.

Another thing would be to check the 'fragflag' and offset fields in each TCP/UDP packet and then send them to a dedicated thread queue for reassembly, then computing the hash and forwarding the packet to the proper thread.  This should guarantee that the fragments are put together in the proper order.

-Coop