[Oisf-users] Hardware specs for monitoring 100GB

Nelson, Cooper cnelson at ucsd.edu
Mon Oct 28 16:01:38 UTC 2019

+1 to this design, we are using it successfully here on a 20Gig AMD64 deployment, ~.1% packet loss with *everything* turned on.  All ETPRO sigs, full json logging and file logging/extraction for all supported protocols.

The “secret sauce” to high performance/low packet drop suricata builds is to spec it out so no one component ever goes over 50% load average for anything more than about a minute.

So personally, for 100Gbit I would follow the SEPTUN guides and use two 40G dual-port Intel NICS (like the x722-da2 as recommended).  One RSS queue per interface should be fine for that configuration (~25 Gbit max per port) and should also address the tcp.pkt_on_wrong_thread issue; if you are using multiple RSS queues make sure to set the hashing to ‘sd’ only for all protocols via ethtool.   As Michal mentioned, on “real word” networks, unless you are a Tier1 ISP or R1 research network (like us) you are unlikely to actually see 100Gbs.

We are actually looking to get rid of our Arista for our next build and just filter stuff in the kernel w/bpf filters.

-Coop