[Oisf-users] suricata at 40Gb

Brandon Lattin latt0050 at umn.edu
Tue Feb 10 16:39:52 UTC 2015

Erich,

After making some significant changes, we're at 0% packetloss for the last
12 hours. We'll hit network peak at around 1PM, so I'll update if that
changes.

I've swapped to pinning to 18 cores as well as 2-tuple load balancing
across 3 boxes. Additionally, I've increased max-pending-packets to 60k
from ~16k and swapped to your values for the ring buffers:
SNF_DATARING_SIZE=34359738368 SNF_DESCRING_SIZE=8589934592

Here's the relevant config:

  set-cpu-affinity: yes
  cpu-affinity:
    - management-cpu-set:
        cpu: [ 0-1 ]  # include only these cpus in affinity settings
        mode: "balanced"
        prio:
          default: "low"
    - receive-cpu-set:
        cpu: [ 0-1 ]  # include only these cpus in affinity settings
    - decode-cpu-set:
        cpu: [ 0-1 ]
        mode: "balanced"
    - stream-cpu-set:
        cpu: [ 0-1 ]
    - detect-cpu-set:
        cpu: [ 2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20,22,24,26,28,30,32,34,36 ]
        mode: "exclusive" # run detect threads in these cpus
        prio:
          default: "high"
    - verdict-cpu-set:
        cpu: [ 0-1 ]
        prio:
          default: "high"
    - reject-cpu-set:
        cpu: [ 0-1 ]
        prio:
          default: "low"
    - output-cpu-set:
        cpu: [ 0-1 ]
        prio:
           default: "medium"

Thanks for providing some insight into improvements!