[Oisf-users] Working with mirror sampling

Rob MacGregor rob.macgregor at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 09:59:47 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 9:43 PM Alan Wanderley dos Santos <
alan.santos at rnp.br> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'll use suricata in a backbone with a large amount of data. I'm thinking
> in put suricata at each aggregation router (5 - 20 Gbps for each router).
> My problem is the hardware and software limitation. To solve this, i'll use
> mirror by sampling. JUNOS support this feature. For do that, a denominator
> will be used (not defined yet). Maybe 1/1000 or 1/2000, i don't know.

5 Gb/s is not a problem for Suricata with sensible hardware - you'll find a
blog post from somebody who's run at just under 10 Gb/s on stock hardware
and careful tuning (
https://home.regit.org/2012/07/suricata-to-10gbps-and-beyond/).

If you're running a wider set of rules, dedicated capture cards make a
massive difference, possibly with some IDS load balancers/packet brokers.
With those and some care in your rules, I see no reason why 20 Gb/s
wouldn't be achievable.

--
 Rob