[Oisf-users] OpenCL

Anoop Saldanha anoopsaldanha at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 03:43:53 UTC 2016

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 5:50 AM, Chris Boley <ilgtech75 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I saw in a previous post where CUDA has gone by the wayside in the area of
> continuing development support. I know the Intel professionals that helped
> incorporate hyperscan for Suricata are monitoring this forum.
>
> I pose this question:
>
> Given the great work that Intel has already done with hyperscan, why not
> work toward development incorporating even more horsepower via the OpenCL
> API? Given that many/most suricata appliances really are just CLI based
> server installations, the graphics processor mostly is not used. I think it
> makes sense for Intel to encourage Suricata development for intel based
> graphics processors/GPU's. Maybe this is already happening and I'm simply
> not aware. Is this even realistic? I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Good question for folks from intel.

Last I remember talking/helping folks from AMD who had a working
OpenCL implementation for suricata.

Would like to see OpenCL integration go through.  When we tested
OpenCL in 2009, the drivers were crap.  I'm sure it's a lot better
now.  Not sure how well(fast/performant) it is supported by the intel
folks.